Yellow Bus Interest Applications SY 23-24
You need to reapply for SY 23-24, even if you were routed for SY 22-23
You must meet the following requirements (set by Cleveland Metropolitan School District) in order to be eligible:
- Fully enrolled as a K- 8th grade scholar for the 23-24 School Year at one of our five campuses
Reside in the city of Cleveland (Proof of Residency may be requested if the address indicated on the application is different than what we have on file)
- Live between 1-3 miles from the school. You cannot live less than 1 mile or more than 3 miles to qualify
- Note: This requirement set by Cleveland Metropolitan School District has changed from last school year. Therefore, if you were eligible last year, it does not necessarily mean you will be eligible this school year.
If you meet the above requirements, please complete the following:
- Fill out the Yellow Bus Interest Application (below) for each of your enrolled children. We must have a separate application for each child.
- Completion of the interest application does NOT guarantee your child(ren) will be routed. Applications will be reviewed for eligibility.
- The address you submit must match the permanent address we have on file with the school. If not, you will be required to provide an updated proof of residence.
- If your child(ren) is/are in Grades K-2, you will need to fill out and sign a walking waiver before your child can begin riding. This will come to your provided email via DocuSign within 72 hours after your application has been received.
Click Below To Apply For School Year 2023-2024:
What is the deadline to apply for yellow bus transportation? When will route information be available? When can my child(ren) begin riding?
Starting May 1, 2023 we will accept Yellow Bus Interest Applications throughout the Spring/Summer and at any point during the 2023-2024 school year up until 4/30/24 @ 10:00 AM. However, the proximity of your child’s bus stop to home and when they can start riding the bus depends on when your completed application is received.
Information for Eligible Riders
Rightway Transportation Dispatch
Families should call 440-494-7030 to check on the status of their child(rens)’ bus or inquire about route information. Rightway dispatch is open from 6:00 AM - 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM on school days. It is closed 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM daily. The best time to reach dispatch for non-urgent matters is between 8:00 AM- 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM- 6:00 PM. These are non-peak hours, as buses are not running during this time. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not been able to contact dispatch via phone.
Your child will be placed on the bus each afternoon beginning the first day of ridership. If you would like your child(ren) to remain off the bus on any given day, you will need to call the Front Office of the school in which your child is enrolled by 1:30 PM to make a transportation change.
Yellow Bus Removal
Please call the front office of the school in which your child is enrolled if you would like your child(ren) to be removed from the bus.
Bus Stop Change Requests
If your child(ren) are routed to a yellow school bus and you have safety concerns about the provided stop, you can fill out the Yellow Bus Stop Change Request Form to see if your child(rens)’ but stop can be changed. Rightway Transportation will review the request, and reach out to you with a final decision within 5 business days.
Family Concerns Reporting Form
If your child(ren) are routed to a yellow school bus and you have a concern you would like to report, you can fill out the Yellow Bus Family Concerns Reporting Form. Rightway Transportation will review the concern, and will follow up with you within 24 hours.
Information for Ineligible Riders
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements, you may qualify for Payment in Lieu.
By law, we are required to follow Cleveland Metropolitan School District’s transportation policies, which can be found online here. As an alternative, there is a Payment in Lieu of Transportation option. Payment in Lieu compensates families of students who do not meet CMSD’s residency/distance requirements. If you reside in the city of Cleveland and would like to apply for payment in lieu, you will need to fill out this form. Important to note: Despite the October 9th due date set at the bottom of the payment in lieu form, the form can and will be accepted past this date.
Once you have completed the form, you can either mail or drop off the form along with a copy of your driver's license and proof of residence, to the transportation department at: 3832 Ridge Rd. Cleveland, OH 44144. If you are unable to mail or drop the form off, you can visit the school's front office in which your child is enrolled, and the front office team can assist you. For further questions, reach out to 216.838.4287.
To learn more about Payment in Lieu if you reside in an alternate city other than Cleveland, please contact the transportation department of your home district. The Breakthrough school your child attends is not the one that provides Payment in Lieu; it is the district in which you reside.