Come lead at
At Breakthrough Public Schools, the impact starts at the leadership level. A Breakthrough Leader is committed to driving anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive practices and embracing their role in creating systemic change. They care personally, challenge directly, and, most importantly, remain humbly driven toward their development to grow stronger as a leader.
What do leadership opportunities look like at Breakthrough?
Our school leadership teams are comprised of:
- Principals - The Principal is the leader of the school and is responsible for the educators and scholars under their care. Ultimately, they lead the vision of the school toward transformational outcomes for scholars.
- Directors of Operations - The Director of Operations is responsible for all non-academic functions, processes, and protocols within the school to keep it running efficiently and effectively. Directors of Operations ensure that educators and scholars have everything they need every school day to succeed.
- Deans of Instruction - The Deans of Instruction are responsible for the implementation of curriculum, professional development of teachers, and academic student outcomes for the school. Deans of Instruction observe and coach teachers to effectively plan and deliver instruction, coordinate and analyze assessments, and serve in a school leadership capacity on a day-to-day basis.
- Deans of Culture - The Deans of Culture are responsible for shaping schoolwide and classroom culture, upholding the code of conduct, and providing coaching for educators and students to drive strong school outcomes. Deans of Culture observe and coach teachers to effectively manage their classrooms, engage and reflect with scholars, and connect with families to ensure the school is a safe learning environment for all.
- Social Workers and Counselors - Social Workers and Counselors are responsible for supporting scholars to develop social-emotional skills, connect them with mental health services, and provide families with access to community resources and opportunities. Social Workers and Counselors provide individualized intervention for scholars so they can be their best selves each day.
Why lead at Breakthrough?
Make a real impact.
Our leaders are proximal to teachers and scholars. They aren't stowed away in back offices. Our leaders are in classrooms and hallways, making a difference each day to impact the lives of educators and scholars in meaningful ways.
Lead with others.
At Breakthrough, we have built communities of leaders across our network. Principals, Deans, Directors of Operations, and Social Workers/Counselors can collaborate with similar leaders within the network to share ideas, seek thought partnerships, and align on best practices.
Often, professional development is ignored at the leadership level. At Breakthrough, we make a concerted effort to develop leaders in their current roles - and prepare them to rise into greater leadership roles.
A Word From Our Leaders
I started teaching at BPS because I believed their mission that every child deserves a high quality education. I lead at BPS because after years of teaching, and seeing the power of their framework, I wanted to contribute on a greater scale. The best part of leading at BPS is that I never stop growing. I am constantly being coached on my coaching, being presented with research and being challenged by data. The leaders in this network all have a common goal of helping every student live a choice filled life, and they embody that every day.
E Prep Cliffs
Leadership at Breakthrough Public Schools means understanding and connecting with teachers to form powerful partnerships in order to transform classrooms. Leadership looks like influencing the energy in a classroom to collectively drive the learning outcomes and unlock the learning potential in both adults and children.
Citizens Glenville K-8 Campus
Being a part of a team + family. From our leadership team to staff, scholars and families, I truly feel blessed to be surrounded by such dedicated and passionate people. I know that the development I have received both in PDs and lived experiences has made me the leader I am today. I wouldn't be able to do what I love to do without my CAS family. THEY are my WHY and reason I love doing what I do.
Citizens Academy Southeast
I lead at BPS because I'm celebrated and supported for the skillset I bring while at the same time coached to grow into a more transformational leader for this network. Being seen for what you bring to the table is priceless.
The best part of leading at BPS are the people - both our scholars and staff. Being able to work with people who share my belief in every one of our scholars is motivating. We are dedicated to providing our scholars with the best education as they begin their school journey.
I teach here because of the autonomy and trust that I have received from Leadership in order to create a classroom environment that my students can thrive in. However, the best part of teaching would be the students! Teaching middle school each day, each year with them is different and magical and I wouldn't change a thing!
8th grade History teacher, 12 years at Breakthrough
I lead at BPS because I want to ensure that as a leader of color I can be a voice, advocate, and partner for our scholars and families to ensure that they have a positive experience as they navigate their educational journey .
Village Prep Willard
At Breakthrough, I know that I have the ability to make a direct impact on student learning as a school leader and BPS has helped me to refine my skills in order to make greater change towards educational equity. I work with an amazing and committed team to provide for some truly deserving scholars who just need the right opportunities to flourish.
What does leadership development look like at Breakthrough?
On the Job Development.
Every summer, we host a Leadership Intensive to grow our leaders' skills and prepare them for the upcoming school year. We conduct monthly cohort professional development sessions for all leadership roles throughout the year that provide ongoing support and development. In addition, leaders receive regular one-on-one coaching and development from our Breakthrough Network Leadership Team members.
Want more? Become a Fellow.
Interested in preparing for future leadership? At Breakthrough, we provide specific Fellowship programs for Aspiring Deans and Aspiring Principals. This year-long, job-embedded program takes an accelerated and rigorous approach to prepare Breakthrough team members for a future Dean or Principal role via professional development sessions, experiential learning, readings, and mentorship. This an application-based, selective program that deeply invests in our people to become future transformational leaders.
Who are we looking for?
You deeply believe in ensuring educational equity and addressing the opportunity gap in schools predominantly serving students of color.
You have meaningful school experience and expertise that has resulted in significant positive outcomes for students. You have a strong lens for instructional excellence and building inclusive classroom culture.
You lead with a purpose and a passion that is both inspiring and contagious. Your words, actions, and values motivate those around you to do the meaningful work our students deserve.
You believe everyone can grow and develop - working relentlessly to coach and support educators and students.
You build a sense of belongingness and connectedness within the communities you impact.
Join Our Team
We’re growing, we’re hiring, and we need the best talent for our students.
Stay In Touch
Be the first to know about career opportunities by signing up below!