If you've borrowed a hotspot from a Breakthrough School, here is how to use it to connect your device to the internet.
We recommend charging your hotspot overnight, so that it's ready for a full day of learning. You can also use the hotspot while it is plugged in and charging.
Please do not remove the asset tag from your Breakthrough hotspot! The asset tag is the sticker on the back of the hotspot.
How to identify your hotspot
Breakthrough distributes two different types of hotspots: Sprint PocketWifi or Verizon Orbic. In order to tell which one you have, look at the image below.
The Sprint PocketWifi hotspot, located at the top of the image, will have a "PocketWifi" logo below the screen, and has squared-off corners.
The Verizon Orbic hotspot, located at the bottom of the image, will have an "Orbic" logo to the left of the screen, and has rounded corners.
How to connect to your Sprint PocketWifi hotspot
- Move the power switch on the top of your hotspot to the "On" position.
- Wait for your hotspot to turn on and connect to the network. This takes about a minute.
- When it powers on, the screen will display "Press the lock icon to unlock the screen". To unlock the hotspot, tap the lock icon on the screen.
- On the hotspot menu, tap the "Wi-Fi' button.
- The network name and password will be displayed on the screen.
- On your device, there will be a 5GHz password and a 2.4GHz passoword, as shown below.
- First, connect to the network and try using the 5GHz password. If that does not work, connect using the 2.4Gz password.
How to conect to your Verizon Orbic hotspot
- Locate the POWER Button located to the right of your front screen. Hold down the POWER button to turn on the display.
- Your screen will go blank, and then you will see the welcome sign appear again, followed by a few startup screens depicted below.
- The Home Display screen will been shown when the device is finished setting up.
- The MENU button is located at the top of your device. press the Menu button until you see the 2.4GHz WIFI INFO screen.
- Press the POWER button to find your hotspot's Wi-Fi name and password.
- Your Wi-Fi name is the name identifying the hotspot's Wi-Fi network. It's located on the first line, next to the Wi-Fi icon.
- Your Wi-Fi password is the password that's needed to connect to your hotspot's Wi-Fi network. It's located on the third line, next to the lock icon. Please note that the password is case sensitive.
- During or after the setup process, you may see a screen prompting you to update. Follow these steps to update your hotspot.
- Press the POWER button to confirm the update.
- While the device is updating, it will display an "Updating..." screen and your device will be unavailable.
- Once the update it complete, you will see a screen stating "Update Successful". Press the POWER button to dismiss this screen and return to the Home screen.