COVID-19, referenced in news reports as the coronavirus, is a respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) virus, and we are learning more about it every day.
There is currently no vaccine to protect against COVID-19. At this point, the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes it. Stopping transmission (spread) of the virus through everyday practices is the best way to keep people healthy.
Although the current risk of contracting the coronavirus remains low, we want you to know what we are proactively doing, based on the advice of the CDC, to keep our schools functioning as usual:
- We are reminding parents,children and staff to stay home at the first sign of illness and for a sufficient time period afterwards.
- In addition to our usual cleaning and sanitizing procedures, we are taking extra care to be sure that surfaces are cleaned and disinfected frequently.
- We are monitoring illness among children and staff to assist in identifying trends in certain illnesses.
- We are reviewing our emergency management plans and establishing procedures for the closing and decontaminating of facilities, if ever necessary.
While we are doing everything we can, we also want to remind families to take the precautions recommended every year during cold and flu season:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based (60%) hand sanitizer, if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Practice good health habits
- Stay home or keep your child home when sick or a fever reaches 100.4
- Do not return to work or school until a fever has subsided and you/your child is off medication for at least 24 hours
- Update your child's emergency contact numbers with your school’s front office
Thank you for your support as we take the required steps to put the health and safety of everyone in our Breakthrough community first. We are monitoring CDC alerts about this virus and will keep families updated with any new information. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your school’s leadership team with any questions or concerns. I can also be reached at 216.456.2086, x1301 or email@example.com.
Chief Operating Officer, Breakthrough Schools