OUR COMMITMENT TO
Exceptional Student Education
WHO WE SERVE
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Exceptional Student Education Guiding Principles
Equity is at the center of our work, we are motivated to provide our scholars with the highest caliber free public education possible through a lens of inclusion, high standards, dignity, anti-racist practices and compassion.
We provide student support services that promote the development of the whole student from entry to progress to completion. We are committed to providing streamlined services that remove barriers for students of all abilities and ages with a special focus on students of color. Our learning communities will:
• Engage a whole-child approach, fostering students’ physical and socio-emotional well-being
• Emphasize grade-level, content mastery for ALL students
• Provide timely, data-driven, and empowering support
• Encourage scholars to understand their strengths and advocate for their learning differences
• Inspire students to be lifelong learners by nurturing their unique backgrounds, strengths and abilities
Family Supports (led by our ESE Teachers, Deans of Culture, and social workers/counselors):
We believe that a robust exceptional student education program directly aligns to our commitment to and celebration of diversity, equity, and inclusion. In service of this same commitment, we prioritize inclusion (within the classroom) for our support services.
At Breakthrough, we provide the following student-focused and goal-driven support services:
- English as a New Language (ENL) support
- Speech therapy
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Hearing services
- Nursing services
We also provided the following continuum of services for students with a disability that require special education: co-teaching in the general education setting, small group instruction and Extension Classrooms (full-time small group instruction).
Our Response to Intervention (RTI) program
- Connects our support services to meaningful student achievement in the classroom
- Ensures a meaningful transition for any new students to the Breakthrough family
- Supplements our classroom curriculum with I-ready
- Supports all students to reach and exceed grade-level literacy and math proficiency
Meet ESE Leadership
Dr. Ami Rudd
Managing Director of Student Services
ESE at Breakthrough
“It has been a pleasure to work as an Intervention Specialist for the Breakthrough Schools for the past 7 years. Over the years working within the Exceptional Students Department has brought me so much joy. The teachers within our department have a “whatever it takes” approach to reaching successful outcomes with our students. Our department keeps growing each year with a centered focus on student growth, achievement, and well-being. I am super excited to connect with my students and their families this year and continue to grow our community of learners."
Former Intervention Specialist & Current Dean
Meet an Intervention Specialist
We work together, and are ready for anything that comes our way.
See what a day in the life of a BPS Intervention Specialist is like.